Edward and Thelma Frazier Winter
The Edward and Thelma Frazier Winter were successful and popular artists in Cleveland, Ohio, during the period 1932-1976. Edward, whose legal name was H. Edward, was primarily an enamelist, and his wife Thelma was a ceramic sculptor. Edward studied in Vienna, Austria, and introduced many simple sifting techniques he learned there to the United States. He was the first to use enameling to make large bowls and plates of enamel on copper, and murals on copper and steel. He was associated with the Ferro Corporation in Cleveland for many years. Thelma pioneered ceramic sculpture in glaze and color in the U.S. and was also involved with Edward in creating many large enamel murals for churches and corporations. Both taught and wrote quite extensively, and their work was exhibited widely and often.